Well, neither had I ’til I passed by the MoneySavingExpert forums (you should check these forums out, by the way – very resourceful with the best bunch of forumers I’ve come across for a while).
(note to self: is ‘forumers’ a word? Hmm.)
Anyway, so I went to the Writers: Share site to find out what it was all about.
SO WHAT IS ‘WRITERS: SHARE’ ABOUT, THEN?
Well, in a nutshell, you get paid to give your opinion (write a comment) on different topics. Topics are split into 4 main categories: Fashion, Homes, Money and Food.
To give you an idea, here are some of the topics they’ve previously put out:
– ‘Is a Mediterranean Diet Good For You?’
– ‘Grow Your Own Food’
– ‘Gucci or Prada?’
THINGS TO NOTE:
– your comments must be well-written and original
– each comment should be 3-4 paragraphs, minimum 150 words.
– you can write more than one comment per topic, but each one has to be just as original.
HOW MUCH DO THEY PAY?
– £1/$2 per comment for the first 50 comments you make.
– After that, it’s £1.50/$3 per comment.
– And when you hit the big 500, you receive a £50 one-off bonus.
AND WHEN DO THEY PAY?
Weekly. Every Friday.
SO I TRIED OUT THE SITE…
I wanted to see how it worked, and whether it indeed worked.
I found it all really straightforward – I didn’t have to register or anything, I simply chose a topic to comment on (‘Gucci or Prada’), wrote up my comment (161 words), submitted it along with my paypal email address
….and that was it. End of.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE BEFORE I GOT PAID?
I wrote and submitted my comment on Apr 1st. However, they were having problems with Paypal (and they were very good at keeping people up to date on what was going on). I therefore didn’t receive payment til the following Friday, Apr 11th.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
– This is a site with heart. For every comment you make, they donate 25p to a charity. They also donate all their ad revenue to charity.
– Paypal is their only mode of payment
– I don’t know about you, but I get charged a fee every time I receive a Paypal payment, so when I took away the fee, I was left with £0.77.
WHAT DO I THINK?
Well, I’m fast weaning myself off low-paying gigs. However, this is one site I’d bookmark. I found it an easy site to jump on, the topics were fun, it’s for a good cause and I got a trickle of change.
However, whether you join up (or not) is entirely up to you.
(Update: 13th Jan ’09 – Writers: Share has been on a hiatus for a good couple of months.)