(Updated May 2017)
My days of joining handfuls of survey sites are long gone. Pinecone Research is one of the sites I joined some years ago and is one of the few I’ve remained with.
It’s one of the best survey sites around in my opinion and experience.
The surveys I receive are far from frequent (some folks get more. Depends on demographics). However, I’ve never had a survey from them that I haven’t qualified for.
Surveys usually last 10-15 mins and I usually get paid two to four days afterwards via PayPal.
How to join?
Well it’s a bit tricky as you can’t join directly through their site. For that, Pinecone tends to recruit via invitation-only or via banner ads placed on other sites. The banners are also placed randomly, so there really isn’t one site that can be pinpointed. However, you might have some luck if you try one of the following:
i) do a Google search for “Pinecone Research banner”.
ii) check the MoneySavingExpert forum (the Up Your Income section). On there, forum members sometimes post links to Pinecone banner ads they come across.
iii) this is one of the demographics Pinecone is currently looking for. If you live in the U.S. and:
– you are male (18 upwards)
– or between 18 and 24 years old (male/female/any ethnicity)
– or Hispanic (male/female/18 upwards)
You can apply here.
How much does Pinecone Research pay?
For UK members, £3 per survey. US members, $3 per survey.
And how does it pay?
For UK members, it’s via PayPal or giftcard. For US members, it’s via PayPal, cheque or giftcard. I prefer PayPal payments as it gives me more flexibility in terms of what to spend it on, so that’s how I request payment.
How long does it take to receive payment?
The great thing about Pinecone is that unlike several survey sites, you don’t have to reach a minimum payout figure to receive payment. Once you complete a survey, the payment is processed the next business day. PayPal payments take 3-5 days to reach your PayPal account. I don’t know how long cheques or giftcards take as I’ve never requested one. However, if all payments are processed the next working day, then I suppose it’d take around the same time as a giftcard.
How frequently are surveys sent out?
I think it really depends on each individual’s income/status/background and what a particular survey is looking for. I’m female, single, in my 40s, with no children. I used to get one or two surveys every month. They’ve gotten less frequent over the past year or so. Sometimes I don’t get something for a few months, and sometimes I get two in one month. You might get more, you might get less.
– Only ONE MEMBER PER HOUSEHOLD can join Pinecone Research.
– At times, you’ll be asked to complete a short survey. Usually doesn’t take more than 5 mins to complete. They send it to find out more information about you in order to establish what surveys to send to you in the future.
– Sometimes, Pinecone sends out products for testing (with your permission, of course). I never thought I’d be privy to that, but it’s happened twice and was enjoyable.
– After testing the product, you also get paid for completing a followup survey for it.
Couple of tips for ya…
– When you first join, Pinecone will send you a survey. It’s important you complete that first survey.
– Though Pinecone’s surveys are about different products, the format of their surveys tend to be the same. Once you get used to the rhythm of that, it makes taking them much easier.
In conclusion, my lord…
I don’t really enjoy doing surveys and admire those who do. Pinecone Research, however, is one of the few survey sites within my tolerance level. The surveys don’t take that long, the pay isn’t bad, and I don’t have to wait ages to reach payout before I see my money. Win-win situation all round, methinks! Plus, getting the odd product through the post makes me feel a bit special 🙂